Monday 9 February 2009

Review of “Blood and Fire”

Hello Everyone,

I am very curious to know just how many finished reading "Blood and Fire".

In my group, three of us finished reading the book. We had ample time for a thorough discussion and we were also able to chat about other things. It turned out to be a very pleasant and relaxing evening.

Looking back with hindsight, I must have really enjoyed the book. I certainly remembered everything during the discussions, which in itself was quite amazing, considering it was a real sweat to finish. It was pleasing to hear from those who were neither able to read or complete the book they felt that they benefited immensely from the discussions we had.

I found the book very enlightening and I felt it gave me a good background and mental picture of the Victorian era. Some of the challenges they faced in taking the gospel to people in those days haven't particularly changed today. One thing I admired about William Booth was that he had a fighting spirit. He didn't give up despite the challenges and stumbling blocks he constantly had to face. There was a lot of poverty around back then and he seem determined to eradicate it. He persevered and fought for good causes, some of which we still enjoy today. It's amazing to discover that the Salvation Army has been around for over a century. I was a little disappointed that nothing was mentioned about the modern day Salvation Army and how different it has become.

After I finished the book, I was curious to find more current information about the Salvation Army, this lead me to their website where I found the mission statement below.

The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.

In addition, the Salvation Army has moved away from autocracy to democracy, and now elect their General. The first female general was William Booth's daughter, the dynamic Evangeline Booth, who served from 1934 to 1939.

On a closing note, if you are interested in history then you will find it to be a very good book. However, Roy Hattersley's writing style makes it quite difficult to read. Getting past that hurdle, I think there is a lot to be gained from reading "Blood and Fire".

Best Regards,
Ope

No comments: