Thursday 25 March 2010

The Shack

Hello,

There was a lot of hype about “The Shack” when it was first published that it caught my attention. I didn’t get round to reading it then and therefore was quite glad when it was chosen as our reading title. A very thought provoking book. Please share your comments and thoughts with us if you have read "The Shack".

Kind regards,

Ope


--------------------------------------








Synopsis.

The Shack is a fictional story that seeks to provide answers to the age-old question, “Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?” Mack, the main character, has lived under the burden of The Great Sadness since the abduction and murder of his daughter four years previous. He then receives a note from God (”Papa”), inviting him to return to the shack — the scene of his daughter’s murder — for a time together. When he returns to the scene, Mack is treated to a weekend encounter with the Godhead. Each member of the Trinity is present: “Papa” – a large African-American woman (representing the Father); ”Sarayu” – an ethereal woman of Asian descent (representing the Holy Spirit); and “Jesus” – a Middle Eastern man with carpentry skills. Most of the book is Mack’s dialogue with these characters from this point on. They discuss many topics, but ultimately help Mack to deal with The Great Sadness. By the time the weekend is over, Mack is a changed man.

2 comments:

Paula Ridgway said...

While I wouldn't base a whole theology on it, I found that The Shack really opened up the concept of the Trinity to me. I was so moved when 'Jesus' praised 'God' during the 'devotional' time, for, as an American, it is easy to think of 'devotional' time as only Bible study. I finished it late one night and just started crying out to Papa to help all those with missing children come to know what had happened, especially the McCanns. I do hope they don't make a movie of it because I think they would CGI the Spirit out of it, especially the forgiveness circle. I give this one 5 stars for making me think and feel in a fresh way. Paula Ridgway

Sharon said...

I selected this book for the book-club because, although apparently a simple story, it is in fact quite powerful and certainly for me helped me in my struggle to understand why there is suffering in the world, or at least how to deal with it without completely falling apart. It is a fictional story that is in the bestseller lists, and I was a bit concerned about all the hype. However, it tells a very moving story and surprises in many ways with a fresh metaphor of what God is like, pushing us out of our pre-conceptions and prejudice, making us think, and really quite “shocking us up”, in many ways.

For me it made a difference in that when I pray I am often able now to have a sense of God the Father, God as Jesus and God as Holy Spirit being with me. I even imagine them sitting in the empty chairs in my lounge, where I do my bible-reading.



I hope it has helped people in their journey as a Christian, but I would also recommend this book to non-Christians, so long as this is done with fore-thought, depending on the individual.

Sharon Rees