Saturday 6 September 2008

Having Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver


This is a thought provoking book that one can return to at different stages of one's life and find new nuggets of truth relevant to the ever changing needs that each season of our life brings. I took some time to get into the flow of the book because I am essentially not a Martha or "kitchen" type of person. I am far more comfortable with Mary in the "living room" and welcome the service that the Martha's around me offer!

I found the section in chapter 6 about kitchen service most helpful, and in particular this quote, "Service without spirituality is exhausting and hopeless. But in the same respect, spirituality without service is barren and selfish." This captures the whole issue of balancing the two as if they were two sides of a coin and must always be together in our lives.

I discovered the study at the end of the book when I had finished it (der????)-so perhaps you might like to use it as you read through it and really let the book work through you like yeast in dough. Jacqui

No comments: